Department of Radiotherapy @ Ospedale San Raffaele
Radiotherapy is a discipline based on the use of ionizing radiation that currently represents one of the most important types of cancer treatment. It is not invasive, it does not require anaesthesia or special medications, and is carried out in a short amount of time. For this reason, it is also suitable for patients who are inoperable or who cannot tolerate chemotherapy.
Used individually (exclusive radiotherapy) or in combination with other therapeutic modalities (surgery and / or chemotherapy) it can have curative or palliative intent. It is often a valid alternative to surgery.
Our excellence in numbers
treatments of External Beam Radiotherapy (EBRT)
Conditions we take care of at this Department
Notable advanced technological equipment
- CyberKnife M6 System, for SRS/SBRT treatments
- Helical Tomotherapy systems:
- Tomotherapy H,
- Tomotherapy HD,
- Tomotherapy Hi Art II
- Clinac iX2300 RapidArc® that allows IGRT-IMRT treatments for all tumour sites
- Gamma Knife® Perfexion™ for SRS treatments on CNS, in collaboration with the Neurosurgery Unit
- MRI and PET/CT (FDG, Choline, FAZA) simulations for a precise localization of the tumour