Department of Breast Surgery @ Ospedale San Raffaele
The Breast Surgery Unit aims to provide better-quality treatment by taking care of the person as a whole. Thus, it operates in a multidisciplinary manner, with a certified team of professionals that cover all the aspects of breast cancer diagnosis and treatment. Psychological support is always available for those who need it, and the ‘Salute allo Specchio’ or ‘Health in the Mirror’ project is dedicated towards female cancer patients, helping them rediscover their smile and self-confidence.
The clinical and psychological support continues even after treatment, with regular check-ups, recommendations on lifestyle, diet and physical activity.
The Unit also offers to patients the opportunity to participate in new study trials and projects as it is firmly believed in the philosophy that research represents an opportunity to improve treatment options as well as the understanding of the disease.
Our excellence in numbers
Conditions we take care of at this Department
Notable advanced technological equipment
- ROLL Radio-guided Occult Lesion Localisation to localise non-palpable lesions
- Sentinel node Localisation through Tclabelled albumin nanocolloid
- Wireless gamma probe for intraoperative detection of sentinel node and nonpalpable lesions
- Intraoperative assessment of surgical margins
- Intraoperative frozen section for sentinel node or breast lesions
- Intraoperative sample Xray or US
- Last generation acellular dermal matrices for breast reconstruction in irradiated tissues