Department of Cardiac Surgery @ Ospedale San Raffaele
The Cardiac Surgery Unit of Ospedale San Raffaele performs approximately 1.400 cardiac surgery procedures each year, covering the widest spectrum of heart pathologies. The Unit is the centre of national and international reference for the surgical repair of the mitral valve, for the atrial fibrillations, and for heart failure surgeries. It is also a national reference centre for the beating heart coronary surgery. Minimally invasive surgical techniques are performed with optimal technological support, including robotic.
Multidisciplinary consultations within the Cardio-Thoracic-Vascular area are available in collaboration with other units of Ospedale San Raffaele.
A notable Division of Cardiac Surgery of Advanced and Research Therapies carries out its activity within the Cardiac Surgery Unit and is headed by Professor Michele De Bonis. Clinical and translational research is an essential element for a cutting-edge centre, that considers "patient-centred care" as its guiding principle, in order to identify and propose, in a multidisciplinary setting, the most suitable solution for the individual patient.
Our excellence in numbers
procedures each year
mitral valve repair procedures
Notable advanced technological equipment
- One fully equipped hybrid operative room for open heart surgery and transcatheter interventions
- Two Storz endoscope video systems for minimally invasive interventions
- One GE Vivid E95 4D echo machine
Available surgical devices:
- MitraClip transcatheter system for mitral valve repair
- MitraClip transcatheter system for tricuspid valve repair (experimental)
- Tiara transapical system for mitral valve replacement (experimental)
- Tendyne transapical system for mitral valve replacement (experimental)
- Cardiovalve transcatheter system for mitral valve replacement (experimental)
- Perceval sutureless aortic valve prosthesis
- Cobra Fusion catheter for surgical ablation of atrial fibrillation
- E-vita hybrid stent graft for aorta replacement