Department of General Intensive Care @ Ospedale San Raffaele
The General Intensive Care Unit of the IRCCS San Raffaele Hospital in Milan is responsible for the treatment of critically ill patients due to:
- central and peripheral neurological insufficiency
- heart failure and resuscitated cardiac arrest
- acute respiratory failure and exacerbation of chronic respiratory failure
- sepsis and septic shock
- multi-organ failure in haematological patients
- major trauma
The Intensive Care Unit staff guarantees assistance based on the most up-to-date national and international treatment protocols and on a multidisciplinary approach, in order to offer the best care for the patient.
The team guarantees emergency support for the emergency department and for all hospital departments and provides intensive support for the management of non-invasive ventilatory treatment in medical and surgical departments.
It also manages:
- the anesthetic activity to support emergency diagnostic/interventional procedures
- the ultraound-guided positioning of central venous catheters
- an outpatient clinic for the follow-up of patients discharged from the ICU.
With constant and direct control by 24-hour nursing staff, the Unit offers 8 hospital beds equipped for complete hemodynamic monitoring, with mechanical respiratory assistance systems capable of ensuring various forms of ventilation and infusion pump systems to administer specifically drugs and nutritional substances.
Our excellence in numbers
patients treated each year
of patients require intensive treatment
of patients require intensive postoperative monitoring
Conditions we take care of at this Department
Notable advanced technological equipment
- Non-invasive ventilation
- Renal replacement therapy
- Mechanical ventilation