Founded in 1955 and accredited by the Regional Health System (SSR) of Lombardy, the Sant'Ambrogio Clinical Institute is an example of healthcare excellence in particular for its cardiovascular unit as well as the diagnosis and treatment of obesity. As for the former, with over 500 interventions of cardiac surgery and 2,500 interventional cardiology procedures per year, the Sant'Ambrogio Clinical Institute is among the first Italian centers for cardiovascular treatments. The Cardiothoracic Center represents a point of excellence in the mini-invasive cardiac surgery and the percutaneous aortic valve replacement. Additionally, the Sant'Ambrogio Clinical Institute is in the first place among the Lombardy hospitals for the treatment of acute myocardial infarction.
As part of humanitarian cooperation, the Sant'Ambrogio Clinical Institute actively participates in projects for prevention and treatment of pediatric congenital heart disease promoted by the “Bambini Cardiopatici nel Mondo” Association (“Children with CHD in the World”), which through the voluntary collaboration of more than 150 surgeons, doctors, nurses and technicians of the most important Italian and foreign cardiac surgery centers work in the countries still experiencing lack of the expertise in curing children affected by congenital heart diseases. They collaborate with more than 250 staff, including health and administrative roles, and 193 Medical Specialists. The Sant'Ambrogio Clinical Institute is certified since 2006 according to UNI EN ISO 9001 standards for all healthcare services delivered.
The Institute is also home to the EAT Project which promotes healthy and sustainable nutrition.
Our excellence in numbers
Year of foundation
Number of beds
Number of patients treated per year