The Institute of Care of the City of Pavia was founded in 1957 at the request of Prof. Dr. Luigi Rotelli and other founders, and is the first facility of the Gruppo Ospedaliero San Donato. It has been affirmed right away as one of the territory’s primary healthcare institutions. It was named " la Clinica" by locals because it distinguished itself from other hospitals for its beauty and architectural criteria in an avant-garde style as well as for the expertise of its professionals. Accredited by the Italian National Health System (SSN), the Institute of Care of the City of Pavia is characterized by the special offer of highly specialized medical care and intense teaching activity.
The mission of the Institute is to pursue standards of excellence in the clinical field, taking care of the patient at 360-degrees, focusing on the personalization of care and ensuring the competence and availability of medical and paramedical staff. Among the main areas of excellence are the Diabetic Foot Care Center, Cardiology with a special focus on Electrophysiology and Arrhythmology, and Vascular surgery unit.
In 1991 the first transformation implemented by the Gruppo Ospedaliero San Donato gave a new image to the Institute, enabling through significant structural extensions, the implementation of clinical activities with university teachings.
Thanks to the work of more than 110 doctors, 190 nurses and radiologists, the Institute in 2016 carried out more than 5,000 hospital admissions and delivered nearly 140,000 outpatient services. An increasing number of private patients enjoy the services and benefits provided by the Institute.
Our excellence in numbers
Year of foundation
Number of beds
Number of patients treated per year