DaTscan SPECT Brain Imaging
When is this exam indicated?
This test is recommended for the evaluation of motor disorders such as Parkinson's disease, dementia with Lewy bodies, the differential diagnosis of essential tremor and the diagnosis in some types of dementia associated with motor disorders.
- Parkinson's Disease Pathology
- Essential Tremor Pathology
- Neurodegenerative diseases associated with movement disorders
How is it performed?
No preparation is required except for fasting or light breakfast. The administration of the tracer is performed intravenously, which may also include the placement of an agocanula in a vein of the arm. After administration the patient must wait for about 4 - 4.5 hours and afterwards will be placed supine on the couch for the acquisition of images for a period of about 45 minutes during which he must remain motionless. Time of stay in the department is about 5 hours.
- Lactation (suspension of breastfeeding for 24 h)
- Inability of the patient to be cooperative during the procedure