When is this exam indicated?
According to the studies reported in literature, LymphaticMRI can be used with various purposes:
- Evaluation of the thoracic duct
- Evaluation of retroperitoneal lymphatic vessels
- Lymphedema assessment
- Differential diagnosis of Lymphedema
- Treatment planning of Lymphedema
- Follow-up after treatment
How is it performed?
Non-сontrast Lymphatic MRI uses a strong magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within the body, just like a normal MRI scan. It can display an exact picture of the lymphatic fluid in your tissues.
- Metallic implants.
- Pacemakers, although new protocols allow imaging in selected cases.
- MR-incompatible prosthetic heart valves.
- Contrast allergy (if used).
- Body weight (MRI tables have specific weight limitations).