Professor Michele F. Surace is an orthopedist and traumatologist at Casa di Cura la Madonnina.
In 1996, he graduated with honors from the Faculty of Medicine and Surgery of the University of Milan, where he qualified as a surgeon in 1997.
The following year, he participated in the Clinical and Reaserch Fellowship at Rush University (Chicago, Illinois, USA), and in 2001 graduated with honors from the Faculty of Orthopedics and Traumatology of the University of Insubria. Also in 2001, he received a Master's Degree in Orthopedic and Traumatological Surgery from SIOT.
In the same year, Professor Surace begins his journey at the University of Insubria:
- from 2001 to 2005, he was an approved university researcher of diseases of the musculoskeletal system at the Department of Orthopedic and Traumatology Sciences of the Faculty of Medicine and Surgery of the University of Insubria.
- from 2006, he has been an approved Associate Professor of Musculoskeletal Diseases at the Department of Biotechnology and Life Sciences of the University of Insubria.
- from 2009 to 2010 – Deputy Director of the Department of Orthopedic and Traumatology Sciences "M.Boni" of the University of Insubria
- from 2015 to 2016, he was the Director of the Interdisciplinary Research Center of Pathology and Spinal Surgery of the University of Insubria.
- from 2016, he has been the Director of the Specialized School of Orthopedics and Traumatology at the University of Insubria.
- from 2017, he has been the Director of the Interdisciplinary Research Center for Pathology and Surgery of the Musculoskeletal System of the University of Insubria.
- from 2017, he has been the President of the Insubria University Physiotherapy Course.
In addition, from 2001 he has been the affiliated Medical Director of ASST Sette Laghi, Varese, in various hospitals.
Throughout his career, he took care of improving his managerial skills:
- in 2007, he received a diploma in the management course in Complex Structure Management in the hospital area of the School of Health Management, Lombardy region, at the Polytechnic Catholic University of Milan.
- in 2018, he received a certificate of recertification of managerial training: Change Management in Medical Institutions, Progea - Eupolis Lombardia, Educational Academy of the Lombard Social and Medical Service.
Areas where Professor Surace is an expert:
- Hip and knee joint replacement surgery with prostheses, primary and revision
- Orthopedic and traumatological surgery
- Spinal surgery
In fact, he participated as a surgeon in about 3,000 interventions, mostly in:
- Prosthetic replacement operations and revision hip and knee arthroplasty
- Orthopedic surgery and traumatology
- Spinal surgery
He is also the author of more than 180 national and international scientific publications, as well as about 200 presentations at Italian and international courses and congresses and 7 monographs.
He described and published new surgical techniques in prestigious international journals, received world patents, and was a key expert in the opinion of some large multinational corporations in this sector.
Head/co-investigator in various international RCT and funded research projects, institutional or private, his clinical and experimental research activities are currently focused on the integration, wearing and follow-up of prosthetic knee and hip implants, both primary and revision surgery, spinal surgery, surgery, arthroscopic surgery, as well as fundamental research on chronic and neuropathic pain in chronic lower back pain and lumbar stenosis.
He receives important national certificates for his academic and scientific activities:
- in 2013 and 2020, he received the National Scientific Qualification (ASN) for the position of Professor in the 06F4 sector (diseases of the musculoskeletal system)
Finally, there are also many national and international awards:
- "Mark Coventry Award" from "The Knee Society", AAOS American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (2002)
- Winner of "5 Concorso Giovani Leoni" – SIA Italian Society of Arthroscopy (2004)
- Certificate for Highly Cited Research Rivista Injury (2016)
- "Best Senior Poster" Award of the Italian Society of Spine Surgery (2017)
University of Milan
Degree of Doctor of Medicine and Surgery — 1982
University of Milan
Specialization in Neurology — 1988
University of Pavia
Specialization in Neurophysiopathology — 1994