Professor Pietro Palma is a rhinosurgeon at the Casa di Cura La Madonnina.
After graduating in 1982 from the University of Bologna with a degree in Medicine and Surgery, in 1985 he received a specialization in otolaryngology and pathology of the head and neck at the University of Siena.
In addition to freelance work at La Madonnina, until 2019 he was Professor and Medical Director at the Clinica Otorinolaringoiatrica of the University of Insubria – Ospedale di Circolo e Fondazione Macchi (Director: Professor Paolo Castelnuovo). Former contract Professor at the University of Insubria in Varese and at the University of Brescia.
During his studies and career, Professor Palma has at various times stayed at centers of excellence in the field of rhinology and facial plastic surgery, both in Europe and in the USA.
He is a fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS).
He also holds important positions in international and national scientific societies:
- Former President of IFFPSS (International Federation of Facial Plastic Surgery Societies)
- Former President of the European Academy of Facial Plastic Surgery (EAFPS)
- Chairman of the International Relations Committee, European Academy of Facial Plastic Surgery (EAFPS)
- Former Treasurer of the Confederation of European Otorhinolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery
- Co-founder and former President of the Italian ENT Association of Rhinofacial, Cervical-Facial Aesthetic and Functional Surgery
- Co-founder and Board Member of the Italian Academy of Rhinology
Professor Palma is exclusively engaged in rhinoplasty and nasal surgery (corrective, functional, plastic).
He also carries out intensive teaching activities both at the national and international level. Creator and organizer from 1991 to 2011 of the Andreas Vesalius courses in anatomical dissection and surgical techniques at the Istituto di Anatomia of the University of Brussels, he is also co-director (together with Prof. Paolo Castelnuovo) of the International Milano Masterclass (International Masterclass in Milan)
An expert in the field of rhinoplasty, recognized nationally and internationally, he has also participated as a guest speaker and operating surgeon in many courses, workshops, and congresses on rhinoplasty and facial plastic surgery.
Publications are added to this:
- almost 200 scientific publications, mostly related to nasal surgery and, in particular, rhinoplasty
- co-author of two monographs
- author of the treatise "Modern Endonasal Rhinoplasty" (forthcoming: Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers)
- author of several chapters in specialized treatises of international importance.
In 2010, his article on the original hybrid rhinoplasty technique was published in the prestigious American journal Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery.
For 10 years he was a member of the editorial board of the scientific journal Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery.