Dr. Mario Santinami is a consultant oncology surgeon dedicated to the treatment of melanoma at Casa di Cura La Madonnina.
After graduating in Medicine and Surgery from the University of Milan in 1982, in 1987 he specialized in General Surgery at the same university.
After completing his education, he began his training in the diagnosis and treatment of melanoma in 1987 at the National Institute for the Study and Treatment of Tumors in Milan, Italy, where he now serves as Director of the Complex Structure of Melanoma and Ocular Oncology Service.
Since 1982, Dr. Santinami has performed more than 10,000 surgeries for melanoma, complementing his clinical work with research specifically on melanoma and Merkel tumor. He is an author or co-author of 278 publications mostly in indexed Anglo-Saxon journals, has an H-index of 49 and a citation index of 10,630 (data from Scopus February 2022).
His clinical and research activities over the years are also complemented by teaching activities. Dr. Santinami is Adjunct Professor for the School of Specialization in General Surgery of the University of Milan (since 2001), for the School of Specialization in General Surgery of the University of Milan-Bicocca (since 2004) and for the School of Specialization in Orthopedics of the University of Milan-Bicocca (from 2004 to 2007 and from 2007 to 2016).
Finally, throughout his career Dr. Santinami has held important institutional positions including:
- Vice-President of the Italian Society of Surgical Oncology (2009-2011)
- Treasurer of the Italian Society of Surgical Oncology (2011-2013)
- Pathology coordinator (melanoma) for the Lombardy ROL oncology network (2012 to present)
- Member of AIOM - Italian Association of Medical Oncology committee for drafting melanoma guidelines
- Member ASCO - American Society Clinical Oncology (USA) also being part of the panel for the extension of the melanoma guidelines
- Member SSO - Surgical Society Oncology (USA)