Neuroendocrine Tumors (NETs) are neoplasms that originate from aggregates of endocrine cells present in various organs, most frequently the intestine, stomach, pancreas or lungs.
These are relatively rare tumors that represent less than 0.5% of all malignant tumors, although the diagnosis of NET has increased in recent years thanks to the widespread use of radiological and endoscopic techniques.
It is estimated that in Italy there are 4-5 new cases / year for every 100,000 people, for a total of about 2,700 new diagnoses.
NETs are characterized by a wide variability of behavior. In many cases, neuroendocrine tumors show slow growth and are not very aggressive; however, sometimes they can grow rapidly and behave in a malignant way, also giving rise to distant metastases.
Main conditions treated
Our excellence in numbers
new diagnosis per year
patients per year
surgical interventions per year
We reach the highest goals for you
Ospedale San Raffaele is one of the most important centers in the world for the diagnosis, treatment and research of neuroendocrine tumors. The hospital has in fact been certified as a European Center of Excellence by the European Neuroendocrine Tumor Society and accredited by the European Community as an ERN-EURACAN reference center.
Where do we treat it?
- Department of Gastroenterology and Digestive Endoscopy @ Ospedale San Raffaele
- Department of Gastrointestinal Surgery @ Ospedale San Raffaele
- Department of Clinical Oncology @ Ospedale San Raffaele
- Department of Hepatobiliary Surgery @ Ospedale San Raffaele
- Department of Pancreatic Surgery @ Ospedale San Raffaele
- Department of Thoracic Surgery @ Ospedale San Raffaele
- Department of Bilio-pancreatic endoscopy and Echo-endoscopy @ Ospedale San Raffaele
- Department of Endocrinology @ Ospedale San Raffaele
Explore other Oncology specialties